This paper will discuss:
- women’s different emotional reactions to and coping strategies for HT-related fear after WHI;
- the communication skills physicians should use in focusing on positive messages emerging from WHI;
- predictors of current HT use;
- the meaning of the higher use of HT in postmenopausal highly-educated women and women gynaecologists;
- the importance of increasing healthy life-styles as a taking of responsibility towards aging by every woman;
- shifting from passivity to active sharing of the decision making process with the caring physician;
- and the use of an individually tailored HT, when appropriate, as part of an active strategy in the pursuit of a longer health expectancy.